Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

NOW ON: Q&A with a sex counsellor: Intimacy & Recovery, & our latest Let's Talk! discussion: Sleeping & Stopping.

Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Let's talk! - 'Addiction': What’s it mean anyway?

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Vik

Let's talk! - 'Addiction': What’s it mean anyway?

Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:50 pm

“Addiction”: What’s it mean anyway?

You said you wanted information, we heard you. We’re introducing a new content series where we will be starting a number of discussions and activities about the experience of substance use, making change and staying changed.

In this topic, we will be discussing the word "addiction", its meanings and how we feel about it as a label.
    There are a number of ways in today's world which the word is used, understood, portrayed and applied. We will be chatting about this, what we think about it, and what impacts we think the word has. This will be a great way to reflect on our understandings, experiences and reactions to the word and support one another in the process.

Like this post now and we'll send you an email when the topic is open.
    0 x
    Vik

Re: Let's talk! - 'Addiction': What’s it mean anyway? Opens Oct 21

Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:14 am

The terms 'addiction' and 'addict' are problematic and cause a lot of debate – some people find them helpful to identify with, and other believing them to be damaging, or a hindrance to recovery.

While 'addiction' is a legitimate medical term, there is debate about what it means. Some believe that it’s a brain disease, others a psychosocial condition, some believe it’s for life, some believe it’s something which can end (see Don’t call me an addict. I don’t live there anymore.). It’s also a tough word to identify with, and many of us aren’t sure when we cross the line into being addicted. Maybe it doesn’t matter… it’s important to remember that you don’t need to feel like it’s an addiction to seek help in changing your use.

'Addict' is even more problematic, with many feeling it disempowers people and stigmatises them. Nowadays it’s much more standard to use people-centred language such as 'people with an addiction', as formalised in the American Press’ Guide in 2017. However there are definitely people who don’t have a problem with it, including some people in our community. Even health care workers can’t agree on whether to use it - Johan Hari calls it “an interesting internal debate among those of us who are basically all on the same side”

You may also like to see
    So a few questions to discuss:
    How do you feel about the words ‘addiction’ and ‘addict’? Do you personally identify with either of them?
    What impact do you think they have? Positive or negative?
    Do you agree that they can be a hindrance to recovery? Why?
    Are you always in recovery or are you recovered? Once recovered do you identify as recovered?
    1 x
    Chip

Re: Topic series - 'Addiction': What’s it mean anyway?

Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:13 pm

As someone who has explored many addictions, i will only comment on drugs and alcohol.

Over my 40+ years exposure to addiction, i often find it's truly self medication initially experienced as a response to various forms of child trauma but can occur anytime.

Often linked to mental illness, it gets even more complex.

But to keep my reply short, addiction is initially about the journey of instant benefit to the user and through to self paliative care.

The body always deploys homeostatic responses expressed in your DNA so being addicted means that your physiology has been irreversibly modified (long term tolerance and receptor dysfunction) and you are deeply driven to maintain such so you will do what it takes to feel what was once almost "normal".
    Last edited by Chip on Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
    1 x
    Vik

Re: Let's talk! - 'Addiction': What’s it mean anyway?

Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:58 pm

Thanks for your reply @Chip, nice one.

What do you think about the use of the word 'addict' - do you think it's positive, negative, or just a word?
    0 x
    Ba
    Bardot

Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:13 pm

Being an alcoholic is hell
    1 x
    Jack23

Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:36 am

hi @Bardot

Welcome to the forum.

Please share your experiences here and hopefully you find assistance from the community and also provide help to other members.

Take care.

Jack23
    0 x
    Chip

Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:42 am

Vik wrote:
    Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:58 pm
    What do you think about the use of the word 'addict' - do you think it's positive, negative, or just a word?
    Words like "clean" (I knew someone that was addicted to drinking detergent but he's clean now :) ) and "addict" carry negative connotations.

"tolerant users" sounds so much nicer.

Notice how they don't call alcoholics "Alcohol addicts ?"
    0 x
    Charliez83

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:01 am

** I do hope the following makes some sense to the readers**

I am a high functioning drug user (not to be confused with abuser).
    The extent to which i use drugs is largely dependent on how my body is reacting to the rising/falling levels of the drug in my system. This in turn means that my body has a need to have the drug in my system for me to continue to be a functioning userdeeming me to be "addicted" to drugs.

To continue to be classed as a "functionion user" i am required to use drugs to satisfy my body's addiction to it.
    0 x
    Justme_au

Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:13 am

The terms 'addiction' and 'addict' don't think they are good or bad.
    weather your into drugs or alcohol it's all the same both are drugs with mind altering affects.
    the words 'addiction' and 'addict' are just a word to have a label.
    it's no different to the words cat, dog, people we use it to define something so everyone is on same page.
    so with that been said if you go to the doctor and say I have a problem with 'addiction, addict' or what ever. if you could not use the words how would you be able to talk about it.
    1 x
    Vik

Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:40 pm

Thanks for your points @Chip, @Charliez83 & @Justme_au - all great ones.

I always think it's interesting how we all have different associations with the words - such as how Chip sees the negative connotations.
    I think it's also interesting to consider how we relate to these words over time with our journeys, maybe no longer identifying with them after a period of sobriety? Like the Don't call me an addict piece in my earlier post.

There's no right answer of course, just food for thought.
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”