Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Let's Talk: Self care, mindfulness and wellbeing - What's it all about?

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Vik

Let's Talk: Self care, mindfulness and wellbeing - What's it all about?

Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:22 pm

“Self care”, “mindfulness” and “well being” are all terms which we’re hearing more and more nowadays, but which many us can feel confused by or that they belong to someone else. But these terms refer to things which can be so beneficial in soothing ourselves, our anxieties and our concerns – especially in times of change such as with your drinking or substance use. So what are they all about anyway? And what do they mean to you?

Self-care in a nutshell is basically about taking the time to do things which make us feel good, to help refill our energy “cup”. This can look completely different for everyone, but usually involves some kind of activity which we find restorative and where we feel “switched off” from stresses.

According to Smiling Mind, mindfulness is “paying attention to the present moment with openness, curiosity and without judgement” and can be practised either formally (such as meditating), or informally by giving your full attention to exactly what you’re doing in a moment.

Wellbeing is about the combination of our mental and psychical self – a holistic way to perceive our health. It’s about recognising how we’re feeling in ourselves and identifying if there’s room to give ourselves a little more of what we need.

Resources: Let’s talk! Reply below.
    • What do you think about mindfulness and self care? What does it look like to you?
    • If you do practise any self-care, how has it made you feel? Has it helped you when making change?
    • Have you got any resources to share with others? Maybe a good book, blog, a helpful link, or a nice quote help?
    0 x
    Simply me

Re: Let's Talk: Self care, mindfulness and wellbeing - What's it all about?

Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:56 am

Heylo all, a few ponderings...

I think one of my 'take aways' from what I know of mindfulness, has been developing the 'witness'. An aspect of myself that observes reactions / emotions / challenges and is able to be just that fraction separate from them, or even simply know they will pass. Not always possible, but a bonus when she's around. This part can then choose a path that's nourishing in some way, over picking up again.

I find the breath a useful tool when I'm feeling overwhelmed. I can't pull off complicated regimes of counting, but if I just take 5 to lay or sit down, and make the exhalation longer than the inhalation, I can remember to do that. All I focus on is the in and out, when my mind wanders with to do lists, or random thoughts, I come back to the breath. How long I can maintain this varies on agitation levels, but it's usually helpful, and allows enough of a pause button to decide whats next from there.

I don't feel we're taught about how to be kind to ourselves really, which is what self care is about for me. Often it's easier to do it for others, and takes time to work up when it comes to self. Especially if there's any story of trauma in our pasts. Shame or feeling **** about who I am can sabotage taking good care. So its an ongoing journey, reframing and redefining ways to look after. I've also had to redefine 'treats', and 'rewards' to more soul nourishing activities.

Thanks....
    1 x
    Calvino01

Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:06 pm

Thankyou for sharing what works for you !

These are great strategies, well done! They may also help others remain in tune with themselves.
    I personally enjoy doing these self-care activities myself
    0 x
    TryingHard2020

Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Hi there, I have literally just joined this forum. Just want to chat with you all about my struggles with alcohol, is this the right forum or could someone steer me in the right direction?
    1 x
    Calvino01

Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:30 pm

Hi @TryingHard2020 and welcome to the forums!
    Good on you for reaching out, it takes a lot of courage to do so.

These forums are a chance for people to connect with others that may have similar experiences with issues related to drug/alcohol.
    Its a great space to share and receive advice and support form other members.
    0 x
    Vik

Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:13 pm

Tryinghard2020 I second that welcome :)
    You might find it helpful to create your own topic in the Change Markers section - it's a great way to get started.
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”