Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Monday Meetup - Join us weekly!

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

Re: Monday Meetup - Join us weekly!

Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:00 pm

Welcome to our Monday Meet Up!

As always, on Monday nights we all jump online and have a friendly chat! We’ll be live until 10pm AEST.

Firstly, a big hello our newest members to the forums!

I don’t know whether you’ve heard through the grapevine, but SBS is airing a new four-part series on addiction tomorrow evening at 8:30pm – Addicted Australia. This docuseries follows the journeys of 10 Australians over 6 months. For more info click here.

Have you heard of it? What do you think? Will you be tuning in?

I know I certainly will be – I’m really hoping that this series sheds light on what its like for those who live with addictions, how challenging it can be for everyone involved, and gives hope for a possible recovery.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this and anything else that you’d like to chat about!

Excited to hear from you,
    HelpfulBee
    0 x
    Dontknowatall

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:15 am

Hi Kate58,
    Well I hope you see this. I too, am extremely sensitive. Also people around me are either burnt out from my cycle (drinking, recovery, social drinking and then back to heavy drinking and round it goes again). I also think some people just don’t “get” recovery. They basically think, just stop drinking/using.
    I admit I am experiencing cravings! Fitness and joining an exercise program has been huge for me, I do it at home, but I am struggling a lot to implement routine. Things often seem to be chaotic despite my best efforts to live in a low stress environment. I’ve only been sober again about 11 days but for 2020 overall I should have spent about 10 months of it sober - I want to sit down and figure it out exactly. So whilst I have been stuck in this cycle of addiction and feel like I’m right back to early recovery, insomnia, cravings etc - I could also say that it has been my most successful recovery year yet. It’s been years and years of trying.

I will try and remember to check in here a bit more regularly. I need (want) to create lists, I’m very haphazard in my approach as I find life completely overwhelming! The insomnia probably isn’t helping in addition to multiple external stress factors and things being a bit challenging financially (though I make it through).

I know just to hit post and not worry to much if this makes sense. I’m still getting slight nausea though I should be fully through withdrawals now so maybe it’s just feeling a bit off from not sleeping. Will chat with my Dr again.

We can do this but god I know it’s hard. I was eating a LOT of junk food. I’m trying to taper it in now but it’s still a bit hit and miss to be honest. For now it’s whatever it takes to stay sober but I have goals to completely overhaul my life, make it all about fitness and getting ripped. The opposite of that drinking lifestyle.

Long rambly post. I guess a reflection of where the brain is at in early recovery lol.

Hope you’re going well. I still need to figure out the live part but not sure I can join due to
    Commitments, will try to just post on this thread though.
    1 x
    Calvino01
    Community Builder

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:23 am

Hi [mention]Dontknowatall[/mention] Well done for reaching 11 days sober!
    It can be difficult at times, try to look after yourself as best you can and focus on one goal at a time.
    Even to kickstart your fitness journey you can create a small goal such as making sure you go for a walk each day. Nothing too drastic.

You're more than welcome to continue checking in with us if you feel that would be helpful. We'd love to continue supporting you through your journey! :)
    You're doing a great job, keep it up! :)
    0 x
    Dontknowatall

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:45 am

Thank you for the support. Not sleeping is so frustrating but I know I need to be patient. I just fall asleep for about 2 hours then am up again. I always think maybe should get up but then I Also feel too tired too. I just need to get on with this and somehow get more productive. Early recovery is annoying because I felt more productive when drinking - but now I know my brain is going through changes but nevertheless it’s frustrating. I suppose I’m just being impatient, I now want to be this super fit person with an amazing routine, energy and discipline lol 😆🤪
    1 x
    Calvino01
    Community Builder

Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:57 am

Thats fantastic! Love the determination :D

Like any habit it can take time to readjust our overall lifestyle and our mindset. There will be bumps along the way, but you will find as you adapt to a life without alcohol, the tension will slowly ease. You'll eventually find yourself responding differently to triggers and urges that come your way.

Some people find that creating a vision board and keeping it visible somewhere in your household, can be really helpful. You can place whatever you like on it whether its images, quotes, goals etc. It help act as a reminder everytime you walk by it and to maintain your focus on these goals :D Celebrate each day that you have gone without a drink!
    0 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi everyone welcome to tonight's Monday Meetup, hope you are doing well :)

We are almost at the end of the year and it's so nice to see that many restrictions have lifted and we can all start enjoying the sunshine a bit more.

For any newbies, this is where we catch up weekly and give an update on how things are going. You are more than welcome to join us at anytime :)

I'm wondering if any of you have had a chance to watch Addicted Australia on SBS? If you have, what are your thoughts on it?

I know for many it has been a real eye opener and has enabled conversations between family and friends.

How are you tracking with your goals? Are you using any tools or apps that are helping you to manage staying sober?

We'd love to hear from you.
    0 x
    User 5fbb7dfec230c

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:08 pm

How do you stop beating yourself up when you have a slip up after doing well for a long time
    2 x
    Morgan2100

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:12 pm

I just joined the forum this evening to try and curb my addiction.
    happy to chat to anyone on here thats free!
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:15 pm

Hi [mention]Morgan2100[/mention] welcome and great to have you here :)

Would you like to share a bit about your journey and what some of your goals are?
    0 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:23 pm

Hi @5fbb7dfec230c welcome! :) That's a great question that I'm sure many of us can relate to in one way or another.

I think it starts with understanding that relapse is a common part of the recovery process. The recovery journey is not a straight forward line, there are many bumps and ups and downs.

Perhaps recognising what some of those triggers might be and thinking of ways to avoid them in future.

It's also really important to celebrate wins along the way no matter how big or small.

It sounds like you've come a long way. What are some of your learnings and experiences been so far through this?
    0 x
    Morgan2100

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:29 pm

Bamboo [facilitator] wrote:
    Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:15 pm
    Hi @Morgan2100 welcome and great to have you here :)

Would you like to share a bit about your journey and what some of your goals are?
    Ideally I would like to give up Cocaine completely.

I use socially with a close group of friends, but much more reguarly now.

I would lie to my wife about my use, knowing full well she's not an idiot and figured it out.

I would also then while on that high message other girls.

My wife now knows all of this and I need to try and make it right.
    0 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:37 pm

Thanks for sharing with us [mention]Morgan2100[/mention] it takes a lot of courage to open up. It must have been a difficult discussion you had with your wife.

I'm wondering what are some strategies you have tried or things you are looking to do to help you reach that goal of either cutting back or quitting cocaine?

What does your support network look like or is this the first time you're reaching out?
    0 x
    Morgan2100

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:51 pm

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:37 pm
    Thanks for sharing with us @Morgan2100. Opening up and being completely honest isn't always easy and takes a lot of courage. It must have been a difficult discussion you had with your wife.

I'm wondering what are some strategies you have tried or things you are looking to do to help you reach that goal of either cutting back or quitting cocaine?

What does your support network look like or is this the first time you're reaching out?
    I contacted my friend and told him to never offer/supply to me again, and to refer to that message if I ever asked.

This is the first time reaching out yes.
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:57 pm

Wow [mention]Morgan2100[/mention] that's a huge step well done!!

How are you feeling about that?

What is something that you are looking for from our community?

Is there a particular topic you'd like to discuss? Here is a link you might useful too about the forums and posting a new thread - see here.

Our live session ends at 10pm but I'm sure others will respond later in the evening too :)
    0 x
    Morgan2100

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:29 pm

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:57 pm
    Wow @Morgan2100 that's a huge step well done!!

How are you feeling about that?

What is something that you are looking for from our community?

Is there a particular topic you'd like to discuss? Here is a link you might useful too about the forums and posting a new thread - see here.

Our live session ends at 10pm but I'm sure others will respond later in the evening too :)
    I cant say it was easy. I dont know how much itll help until it does.

Maybe a support network? Honestly I am not too sure yet
    2 x

Return to “Community Talk”