Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Re: Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:50 am

Hi everyone how is your Thursday going? We're heading into the weekend again which can be a triggering time for many who are trying to stay sober.

For any one new, this is where we share our strategies, distraction techniques, hobbies and plans for how to stay on track come Friday night, Saturday & Sunday.

Share with us your story of how you've been able to politely decline a drink or how you respond if someone asks you why you aren't drinking.

Often our mates may tease us or there's some banter there without knowing the real struggles we are facing. It's always good to spend time with people who are supporting you with your recovery.

Perhaps you've been sober for quite some time, let us know what's helped you get through the first few weeks and months. This will be great insight for anyone that's only just starting their recovery journey.

Looking forward to hearing from you :)
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:07 pm

Hi everyone with the Easter break/long weekend approaching now is a great time for us to chat about what strategies and activities you have in place to help you get through this period?

Let us know what you have planned and how you'll be spending the weekend.

If you have any questions for our community, feel free to ask :)
    2 x
    cerena

Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:32 pm

Hi, I'm new here but would like to join in on the forums and not feel so alone in everything - Even moreso on this weekend because I don't have any family or celebrate Easter so it's just an inconvenience and more depressing than anything.

If I had some obligation I would probably welcome the distraction but I don't drink alcohol (very very rarely) So it's not too much of an issue for me. It's more how to keep distracted to cut down my use again after the relapse *sigh*

Hope everyone has a good weekend, celebrating Easter or not and keep focused on the good things :)
    2 x
    Gizelle

Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:11 am

Hi Cerena
    Those emotional triggers like loneliness, anxiety and not feeling good enough can flip me from not drinking to drinking in a flash. I've joined an online learning/coaching/nurturing and other positive supportive things that is really helping me. I paid for a year and there is so much on this site. It's called mindvalley. I've really cut down on drinking because the triggers have less of a hold on me. There is a commitment to learning that is required/needed.
    From Gisele
    0 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:18 pm

Hi @cerena thanks for sharing with us. Apologies for my delay in response, I have been away for the past week. Good on you for reaching out particularly after your relapse. It's understandably hard but it's important to understand that it is part of the recovery process, well done for coming onto the forum for support. Today is a brand new day. I wanted to check in to see how you are going? A good way to keep distracted is to do something hands on whether it be cooking, a cross word puzzle, building something, exercise etc. What are some of your favourite hobbies? You may also find our Making a Change section helpful for some useful strategies, see here.
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:35 am

Hi everyone it's Thursday and a good time to share some tips and strategies on how to stay focussed on your recovery goals over the weekend :) .

How have you been tracking so far? What has been working for you that you can share with others?

What events or activities have you got on?

Feel free to post a reply below, we look forward to hearing from you.
    0 x
    TheDees

Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:43 pm

Hey folks,

It's Thursday check-in time! As we head into the weekend I just wanted to check-in and see how everyone is travelling?

Does anyone have any tips for staying sober over the weekend? Or maybe there's something you need some support with.

I'll kick things off with a few tips for staying on track over the weekend!

Distract yourself
    While the weather is less than average in door activities are a must to keep yourself busy! I always find a good book and some tea a nice way to pass these colder days. If there's a break in the weather, a walk is always a nice way to get moving and help yourself build resilience. If you'd like to know more about the benefits of walking during recovery here's a link to a great blog article about it. https://www.counsellingonline.org.au/bl ... resilience

We'll also be running some new activities over the weekend, so please come and join the discussions!

On Saturday we'll have our first ever "Turning Negatives to Positives". This will be a space to help re-frame negative thoughts emotions or events, and find that silver lining.
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=419

On Sunday we'll be asking everyone to share their favourite quotes!
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=421

Another useful tool for managing the weekend is Planning your time.
    Knowing how your weekend will look in advance can help alleviate anxiety about possible cravings or urges. Get in touch with people who will support your goals, organise a trip to the cinema or gallery, or maybe head out for a drive out of town.

Loved to know how everyone else is getting ready for the weekend :D
    1 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi All,

Howdy!

It's Thursday Check-In time.........I'll be here till 10pm AEST to chat about staying sober on the weekend or whatever else is on your mind.

As a little bit of background for you I've been in recovery for about 5 and a half years now and my addictions spanned numerous substances and behaviours. It took a long time for me to get on top of things but life is a whole lot better now.

I'm happy to share and offer whatever advice I can.

I definitely don't have all the answers.......... but I've got my personal experience to draw on .

So it's Thursday Check- In..............What's planned for the weekend?........How can I help??
    1 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:10 pm

I'll share something to start..........I've actually got a three day weekend and I'm really stoked coz I'm usually just doing housework, shopping and boring stuff and fitting in a bit of fun stuff where possible. But tomorrow is all about me.

I plan on having a hit of golf for the first time in about a year. I've realised I haven't really done any of the things I love doing lately. I'll be by myself but that's cool.....keeping busy and doing something I love makes me feel good, gives me a sense of achievement, self worth and identity.

What's something you can do that you haven't done for ages????
    1 x
    TheDees

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:23 pm

Hi @Craig PW thanks for sharing what works for you. It is always nice to have a 3 days weekend, sounds like you have got some nice things planned. Does anyone else have ways that help them stay sober? I know going to the beach for a walk, even when it is cold can be helpful, it is often soothing. :-)
    1 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:31 pm

A drive can be good too.......especially into the country for some nature and quiet time.

Or even catching the train to somewhere random and checking out a new town. Head to Ballarat or Bendigo or somewhere for the day and see what the place has to offer. It's a great way to fill in a whole day
    2 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:57 pm

Whetever it is you decide to this this weekend, try and make it something that will get you out of your head. Sitting on the couch or laying in bed with your head stuck in "loop thinking" going round in circles and letting the cravings take control is the worst thing you can do.

Just step out the front door and start walking......who knows where you'll end up but stay safe. Phone a friend and drag them out for a walk too, walk your neighbours dog, go to the park and people watch for a while...........just get out and distract yourself.

I hope you have a safe weekend and I'll check in again next week
    2 x
    TheDees

Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:11 pm

Hi @Katr,

Wondering how have you been? We haven't heard from you in a while.
    1 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:59 pm

Hi All, it's Thursday again.

It'd be great to hear about your plans for the weekend and more importantly.........how you plan to stay safe for the weekend?

What's been most important to you when trying to stay sober?

Sometimes it's good to talk about what hasn't worked too...........it can help others understand why something may not be such a good idea. Do you have anything to share?

There's no shame in admitting something didn't work

What else is on your mind?
    0 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:28 pm

Something I hear a lot is.........."I can never see my friends because they're always out partying on the weekends"

Most of the time that only applies to the nights though.

Sure, when you stop partying your life changes and going out with friends on Friday and Saturday nights isn't a great option but you can still stay in touch with the friends who have a positive influence on your life.

Catch up for a coffee in the morning or afternoon, go for brunch instead of dinner, do some morning exercise together, go for a day trip in the car. Plan to fill your days with friends and your nights can be safe at home. I found that because my days were productive and I achieved things the pressure to feel like I had to go out at night was lessened..........well that was my experience anyway

Fill your days with positive experiences and get a good night's sleep. The feeling of waking up in the morning knowing that you got through yesterday sober is an amazing feeling................and the more you notch up in a row the better you'll feel
    2 x

Return to “Community Talk”