Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Katiee

Re: Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:46 pm

@PnorkelPW sorry to hear you got some bad news! Just remember one day at a time if you have to
    1 x
    WildeReformed

Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:12 pm

Hi @PnorkelPW

Tomorrow is Sunday and I'm going to go for a walk and do some youtube yoga (yoga with adriene - yoga for change and drain) maybe if you need a boost to your exercise goals then you can join in too.
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:02 pm

Welcome to Thursday Peeps………..as always I’ll be here between 8pm – 10pm AEST if you’d like to share your thoughts on the week that’s been, the week ahead or what you might need help with for the weekend.

If the weekend ahead is raising any fears for you can I suggest sharing them with someone? Voice your concerns and don’t hold them to yourself. Talking about your concerns can help pass the time and get through a difficult craving period. It not only gives you a chance to process your problem it can also lead to the conversation heading in any number of directions and who knows……….in an hour’s time you might not be talking about your cravings but instead talking about the fact that the name for the blob of toothpaste on your toothbrush is a “nurdle”……..true fact!!
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:09 pm

Thanks for the invite @WildeReformed ................it's been a difficult week so still no exercise goals reached for me but the next three days I'm set to turn that around. I have an RDO tomorrow followed by my first weekend to myself in some time so my hopes are high............a long weekend to get the routine back in shape

I hope you enjoyed your yoga
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:37 pm

I can relate @PnorkelPW, all of the exercise and eating routine has been out for me the past couple of weeks as well.....Lockdown blues me thinks

That's great that you have some time to yourself, I'm thinking of taking a long weekend soon as well to restore a bit.

I just read your post from last week that you got some bad news, I'm sorry to hear that and glad that you're still ticking along ok.

What else are you doing with your precious weekend to yourself? :)
    0 x
    WildeReformed

Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:56 pm

@PnorkelPW I hope you enjoy your weekend!
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:39 pm

@ScorpionPW @WildeReformed it was a great weekend. Gym three times, some retail therapy because I got my tax return done with surprising results, a few repairs on the house, beach and bush walks, an afternoon nap, footy and most importantly some space to let my thoughts settle.

How were your weekends?
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:02 pm

That sounds epic @PnorkelPW....

Mine was pretty good, just spent some time with the GF while my son was at his mums house. He got a bit sick while he was there so just been looking after him the past couple of days but I reckon he'll come good by tomorrow. It was just so nice actually being able to go out to dinner again. Everytime we come out of lockdown I realise how many basic things I take for granted all over again.

Thanks for reminding me to do my tax return aswell!
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:09 pm

Another Thursday, another Lockdown for us here in Melbourne :cry:

I'll be here betwee 8pm - 10pm AEST as per usual...........might just be a little quieter tonight as I process this again

How are you? what's the situation in your State? How are you coping? How do you plan on coping for the weekend ahead?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:34 pm

So I've just been doing some reflection and have reminded myself to think about the positives...............think about what I can do this weekend

One positive is that my daughter is with me so I won't be alone. Another is that we'll be able to go for walks at the beach and in local bushland. Maybe I'll even take this opportunity to do some baking or cooking and make something we've not made together before. There'll be some boardgames, some work in the garden and I'll be sure to fit some downtime for some chilling and a movie somewhere in there too.

I think in times like this connection is even more important so how will you stay connected? A phone call to a friend or family? A phone call to a support line such as Directline or the equivalent in your state? Are people still doing the Zoom thing or has that sorta died off a bit? Might be time to get the gang back together on a group Zoom chat or even just one one one for some sort of face to face contact................even if it is online.

What can you do to keep yourself connected and stay busy this weekend?
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:45 pm

@WildeReformed @CatMumofone @Angel.w @Starlee @Simply me @bertalc1 @Dusty444 @EtherealAngel111

How are you guys doing tonight?
    1 x
    Angel.w

Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:56 pm

Thanks for checking in.. just a newby here so having a quiet look around but doing so stone cold sober for 2nd day running.
    Really feeling for everyone in lockdowns.. we’ve just escaped by the skin of our teeth for now which I’m grateful for.
    Will take some time tomorrow to have a better read and look forward to getting to virtually know more of you. Night all
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:37 am

hey @Angel.w how are you going today?

We have some weekend activities today, including trivia and turning negatives to positives

They might be a fun way to get to know the forums!
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:00 pm

So it’s Thursday again………..and I’ll be here between 8pm – 10pm AEST to share if anyone feels like talking. I’m gonna write a bit of a share and drop it here shortly.

What’s happening with you?
    Last edited by PnorkelPW on Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:04 pm

Welcome aboard @Angel.w .......great to have you here and congratulations on 2 days!!! If there's anything @ScorpionPW and I can help out with we're more than happy to share

How has the week gone for you?
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”