Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Thursday Check-in - How to stay sober on the weekend

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:14 pm

Howdy!

It's Thursday.................Who's out there to chat?

How's the week been?

What's planned for the long weekend?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:23 pm

Long weekends can be daunting so planning will be key. It's a great time to give yourself permission to have a nothing day..........I know I will be. I'm usually trying to keep busy and stay productive but with the extra day it's time for me to say "It's okay to chill today". There's time to do the house jobs, time to get organised for the week ahead, time for some fun, time to tick some life admin jobs off the list.............and time to do nothing.

It's an area I struggle with sometimes but not this weekend and thankfully the lockdown restrictions have eased somewhat. I'll get some fresh air and walk the beach, walk the bush track and maybe even get to the movies - I think they're open..............as well as the usual boring stuff.

How will you treat yourself this long weekend?
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:36 pm

Can relate big time @PnorkelPW...I find it so hard to give myself permission to just stop and relax sometimes.

Sounds like a beautiful weekend you've got planned! I might take a page out of your book and get into some nature.

Other than that I think I'll try to catch up with some friends, watch the UFC on Sunday and really try to take advantage of the extra day to replenish.

Is there anybody else floating around tonight who is looking forward to coming out of lockdown?
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:00 pm

Happy Thursday All!!

What's planned for the weekend?

How's the week been?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:04 pm

It's Thursday again and I hope everyone has had a safe week so far............any concerns leading into the weekend?

Or better yet...........anything good happening this weekend?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:17 pm

If you are struggling on the weekend tell someone. A friend, family member, someone on here...........just tell someone. Sharing your thoughts and getting it out of your head can do wonders, try not to fight it alone
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:02 pm

Howdy All!

It’s Thursday again and I’m wondering if there’s anything on your mind leading into the weekend.

This weekend I've got tix to see Tim Minchin that I bought 2 years ago and am finally getting around to going after being rescheduled three times due to pandemic. I'll also be doing some cooking so my meal prep is done for the week after having a week off work. I'll find some time to get to the beach for a walk and fresh air as well as some couch time so I'm fresh for Monday. A balance between rest and activity..........just what every weekend needs.

I’m here between 8pm – 10pm AEST every Thursday. Leave a response some time or share your thoughts. It’s amazing what it does to just get thoughts out of your head in a space where people are searching for identification, answers and someone who feels like they do sometimes.

What’s going on for you this weekend?
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:56 pm

It's Thursday again so I'll be here from 8pm - 10pm AEST. If it's about addiction, recovery or just life in general I'd love to hear from you

What's happening?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:02 pm

Welcome to Thursday all………..I’ll be on here from 8pm – 10pm AEST if anyone has any questions about anything that’s happening for them this weekend. Feel free to drop a thought or question here anytime and I’ll see it either Monday or Thursday when I check in on the forums.
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:42 pm

Well F&%#!!!...........Here we go again……….LOCKDOWN!

It’s strange but I feel a bit better prepared this time, maybe it’s because I’ve done it so many times now. I’m fortunate that I’ll still have to go to a physical workplace but the weekend is another story. Just me, living alone and in lockdown. It’s going to be important for me to make some calls and catch up with people. The irony is that when we’re not in lockdown I feel like shutting myself off on the weekend and getting some “me” time……….when it’s forced on me I want the opposite. That’s the addict in me………the side of me that needs to control things.

When I’m not in control I struggle but I know that letting go is more beneficial to my recovery. It’s a balance I’m constantly trying to maintain and if I’m being honest with myself………it’s a balance I always will have to stay focused on to maintain.

So this weekend I’m going to try and let go and just maintain some balance between keeping busy, staying connected and relaxing…………just the usual really but with the thought of lockdown at the back of my mind. I’ve got a list of repairs and fixes to try and attempt with the house. I’ve got a list of people I haven’t spoken to for a while so it’s a perfect chance to catch up. I might even Zoom or Facetime………..they’re words that I haven’t heard a lot of lately. I’ll even try and jump back on the drumkit and try to learn some new beats.

If you’re in Melbourne, Sydney or Brisbane how are you going to manage your weekend?

If you’re anywhere else in Australia……….what will you do this weekend?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:08 pm

Welcome to Thursday Check-in................not sure who needs to be here more tonight..............I'm grateful for the distraction due to some bad news this week.
    Anyhoo...........I'm here between 8pm - 10pm tonight if anyone wants to talk about the week that's been or the weekend ahead.

What's on your mind?
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:18 pm

hey everyone, our wonderful @PnorkelPW is here unti 10PM

@WildeReformed @Exfitspo @Annie2405 @sueB @Starlee @chasityhd2 @EtherealAngel111 @lucia_span @bertalc1 @Shine01 @Katiee @Gizelle
    1 x
    Annie2405

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:35 pm

Hi @PnorkelPW
    I’m also grateful to have a distraction and the possibility to reach out to some people who understand the mental toll being addicted to alcohol can have.
    Do you have any tips to help you stay sober especially in the early days?
    0 x
    Katiee

Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:01 pm

Hey @PnorkelPW hope your doing well :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:39 pm

Hi @Annie2405 and @Katiee .............overall I'm okay but am having moments where I'm a bit frustrated and angry because of some bad news. Just gotta remind myself that it will pass eventually and I'll be okay as long as I don't try and do it alone and use the support networks I have available. How are you two?

@Annie2405 I just replied to your post in the "Introduce yourself" thread and left a couple of tips there. Check those out and I'll put another few tips below here
    1 x

Return to “Community Talk”