Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Are you thinking about Rehab??

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Are you thinking about Rehab??

Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:07 pm

Have you ever thought about taking that big next step to get treatment? That seemingly scary next step I’m talking about is residential rehab. But is it really that scary? Maybe it’s more the fear of not knowing where to even get started, or what will happen to your family/ home/ pets if you choose to go? All very valid reasons for wanting to push it to the back of your mind.

But if you feel like you are stuck in the same cycle and can’t seem to overcome your addiction, maybe it is time to rethink the rehab option?

So. What is the process of getting into rehab? What even happens when I’m there?

Both the federal and state governments fund public drug and alcohol services, which means treatment is either free or little cost- The rest of this post will focus on the public services, although you also have private facilities which are out of pocket costs (some private health will assist with these too). All support services for rehab in Australia are accessible through an intake and assessment service. Intake services work in assessing your needs and helping you find the most effective treatment and support.

From there, you may be a perfect candidate for rehab. But before you go to rehab, you must undertake a short-term detox program (generally 7-10 days). Detox can be done at both outpatient (you come and go home daily) and inpatient (you stay somewhere) facilities and involves completely stopping your substance use. This is usually done with the support of medical staff and prescribed medication.

Following this, the intake service may have organised for you to enter residential rehab. Residential Rehab in Australia takes the long-term approach to treatment and aims for an alcohol or drug free lifestyle. They provide treatment programs which involves a range of interventions, such as individual and group counselling, and treatment for mental health issues. They also place an emphasis on self-help and supported reintegration back into the community. You will receive around-the-clock medical and emotional support, and you don’t go to work or attend school while in treatment. You will also receive instructions for what you can bring with you to the program and what you can and cannot do during your stay. Rehab is a voluntary treatment, and the average stay is around 3 months.

Rehab may not work for you the first time, and that’s OK. Many people need to go through the process more than once to overcome their substance issues. If it doesn’t work first time, you will have learnt something, and it will make it easier next time. If rehab sounds like something you are considering, call The National Alcohol and Other Drug helpline on 1800 250 015, they will direct you to your state service. The helpline is available 24/7, and all calls are confidential and anonymous.

Let me know if you have any questions below about rehab or the process!

3 x
    requiem4me

Re: Are you thinking about Rehab??

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:20 pm

Hi Lady Bug,

I have made some enquiries into rehab today as I think I really need this. I have never been able to abstain for longer than 8 weeks in the past 7 years and I think rehab might help with that and more.

On the other hand, I worry about leaving my family for that long. I have already caused my husband so much stress and heartache over the years, ya know? It feels incredibly selfish to head off for 12 or more weeks to work on myself and leave him to run the family. Plus, my children are pretty sheltered from my addiction, how will we explain my absence? Would I go before Christmas and have to spend Christmas in rehab?

Then there's work and study and finances to consider. It's all so overwhelming and sometimes I think it would just be easier to fall into the oblivion of my addiction.
    0 x
    camembert
    Community Builder

Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:34 pm

hey [mention]requiem4me[/mention]
    great to see you around the forums and reading different spots... it can be really overwhelming to reach out for help but i want you to know there is lots of support out there when you need it!
    amazing work reaching out to rehab - this is so brave!
    take care, camembert
    0 x
    Lyngne

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:13 am

I'm suspecting my brother as he is probably doing drugs on a regular basis. He even ended up stealing money from me the other day and wouldn't admit. I know for a fact that a lot of his friends have been into hard drugs like cocaine or heroin, and I'm really afraid that he might get the same path if I don't do something. My parents are also really concerned, and we were looking into the best option. Upon researching, what are your lies that a government facility would not be as efficient as one of these drug rehab centers that specialize in hard cases and pay attention individually to each patient.
    Last edited by Lyngne on Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    0 x
    Truffles

Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:33 am

Good on you for reaching out about your brother. It's hard isn't it when you suspect something, like drug use, however you have no proof. Has anyone else in the thread experienced this?
    0 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:34 pm

Hi @requiem4me

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, I have just seen your post.
    I'm wondering how you went with enquiring into rehabs?
    You are definitely right, there is so much to consider with going to rehab...... but it is also an investment into bettering yourself. You need to focus on yourself and get better before you can give your all to everyone else.

looking forward to hearing how these past couple of months have been for you

Lady Bug
    0 x
    Lady Bug
    Community Builder

Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:41 pm

Hi @Lyngne

Sorry to hear about your brother, this sounds like such a hard situation and I can imagine you must be very worried about him.
    So with residential rehabs, they are all voluntary. Your brother will have to decide to go himself, on his own terms. But if he is ready to get some help, rehabs are a great option.
    Government rehabs and private rehabs are for the most part run very similarly. With government rehabs they are all regulated, however they do have long wait lists.
    With private rehabs, these aren't regulated so you can get good and bad ones. Its definitely wise to do your research on private facilities and read any reviews.
    I'll post a link to a great article written by the ABC on what to look our for in private rehabs

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-02/ ... ng/9718124

All the best
    Lady Bug
    0 x
    Craig PW
    Peer Worker

Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:59 pm

Hi @Lyngne

My experience is that it doesn't matter if it's a government funded rehab or a private expensive one. It always comes down to the participant's readiness to get involved in the program. It's easy to skate through and say all the right things but those who really succeed look deep into themselves and make lasting change. Relapses happen to everyone as part of the journey but there will always be things they have learned that will stick with them or come back to them in their time of need.
    If you can get your brother exploring the idea of rehab then that's a massive start. from there it's getting a place which can take time. I went to private rehab and now work in public rehab but the one thing I ca tell you is I've seen just as many people struggle in both. The one's that want recovery will eventually find it because they put in the work, not because they pay the money.

Do a bit of research though because different rehabs provide different programs and what works for one may not work for another and at the end of the day............your brother has to want to go
    0 x

Return to “Community Talk”