Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • What scares you the most about recovery? What’s holding you back?

A place for community rundowns, special events and announcements from Counselling Online forums facilitation team.
    HelpfulBee
    Community Builder

What scares you the most about recovery? What’s holding you back?

Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:12 pm

I thought it could be helpful to talk about the elephant in the room – What’s holding you back? What scares you the most about recovery?

Because if you know that making change is going to have a positive impact on your life, whether it be your work situation, your health, your relationships, your family, your mental health, your legal troubles… whatever it is for you, it’s likely that there’s something else getting in the way.

And it’s hard to admit these things, our family and friends will probably not understand. Heck, it’s hard to admit this to yourself sometimes… because you know better. You think you should make a change, but there’s just something holding you back.

I think it’s important to normalise this part of the journey. It’s supernormal. It’s supernormal to be on the fence. It’s supernormal to have one foot in and one foot out. To want to make a change but to want things to be the same. To be scared of the journey. To be scared of recovery. This is all normal.

And there are many reasons we have these thoughts too. Some of us may be scared of trying and ‘failing’. Or making ourselves vulnerable. Or admitting we were wrong. Or admitting that we have a problem. Or asking for help. Or maybe you think it’s too hard. Or what’s the point? …Maybe there’s still a part of you that likes using.

There are just so many reasons. And it’s tough to admit these reasons to ourselves, let alone our family and friends, or even a counsellor.

We have a safe space here at Counselling Online, where we can explore these difficult thoughts and topics. And where you can admit to having these doubts, and thoughts.

If this resonates with anyone here, we would love to hear from you. The more we normalise these thoughts, the better it is for everybody. It helps break down stigma, shame, guilt, and embarrassment. It’s a part of recovery. And it’s a part of the journey.

And just because we’re having these thoughts, it doesn’t mean we can’t get on with what we need to do anyway. Moreover, these thoughts may be creating a barrier for you making your next step - acknowledging and understanding these thoughts may be the very thing you need to turn the next corner.

Peace out - HelpfulBee 8-)

@Simply me @requiem4me @Starlee @Cloudy @EdwardPayne
    1 x

Return to “Community Talk”