Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Do I have a problem?

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.
    DreamcatcherInAField

Do I have a problem?

Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:02 am

Hi guys. 26 Years old. Always loved drinking.
    Recently things have got tough, with covid and received a hand injury that put me out of work. I can't seem to go a day sober. I get panicky and can't stop thinking about my next drink. Alcohol just gives me that mind numb. That chill and relax. I can't get it without. I drink probably 4 or 5 days of the week. The days I don't drink are out of trying to ease myself away. Do I have a problem? Am I an alcoholic? I can't do without the buzz. Where do I get it elsewhere? Btw I'm bipolar disorder. I take antidepressants. Im told antidepressants don't mix well with alcohol. I seem ok.
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: Do I have a problem?

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:41 am

heya @DreamcatcherInAField I just want to start off by saying welcome to the forums, and thank you for sharing your story. It takes courage to tell others what's going on, good on you.

It sounds like you've been having a really difficult time lately, and that alcohol has become a way to help numb those negative experiences. We aren't medically trained, and I can't tell you whether or not you have an issue with drinking, but it does sound like you are concerned about the amount you're consuming. I would strongly recommend speaking to a trusted GP, especially if you want to cut down the amount you're drinking, and in regards to mixing it with your anti-depressants. There are negative side effects that can accompany alcohol withdrawals, you can read more about them here.

It might be worthwhile having a look at how to manage some of your cravings, there are some really great techniques here. This might help when you feel like all you can focus on is getting that next drink in.

Do you have other ways that would typically help you relax?

I'm going to tag our peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW as well as some other members who might have some words of advice right now @WildeReformed @BonsaiBeginner @Tiiu @initae89

Let us know how you've travelling today, we're sitting with you :)
    1 x

Return to “Alcohol”