Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • I need help

Alcohol is the most commonly used substance in Australia. Join this forum to discuss issues and find support relating to alcohol use and recovery.
    Lea12

I need help

Sat May 07, 2022 9:29 pm

I drink everynight, wake up hungover and my marriage is suffering. I have done this for the last 4 years .l say l'm going to stop but hubby has heard it all before. I hide my drinking, he can tell but still l do it. Need these forums
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: I need help

Sun May 08, 2022 10:25 am

hey @Lea12 thank you for sharing and opening up in this space. It sounds like you're at a point when you are really ready to change your drinking habits. I can hear your carrying a lot of guilt around how this is impacting your husband and your marriage. Have you reached out for support previously?

I'm going to tag our wonderful peer workers @ScorpionPW and @PnorkelPW as they may have some words of advice around taking these first steps towards change. It can be a daunting journey, but the fact you've reached out today shows a lot of strength and drive.

Let us know how you're travelling today
    1 x
    Lea12

Mon May 09, 2022 5:47 pm

Hey , yes mu hubby has tried to help me for 4 yrs now. We briefly separated, but l amending drinking wine from him everynight. He is a roadie so is in bed 7.30pm, l stay up watching TV until 10-12pm usually falling asleep on couch trying to hide l'm pissed. I am3 days AF and feel good, l am determined now to fix this.
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon May 09, 2022 10:09 pm

@Lea12 I’ve responded to one of your other posts but I’ll just add this after reading this post of yours.

I discovered I couldn’t do it alone and I needed help. Every time I tried to stop I ended up drinking again. I made all the promises that I ended up breaking over and over again and it eventually cost me everything. There is hope for you if you start talking to the right people now. Starting to share the burden of what’s happening for you will start to lighten the load…………you are not alone.

Your GP, a drug and alcohol counsellor, AA meetings, SMART Recovery meetings, a psychologist………….these are just some of the people who can help. Check the other post as well and if I can help, answer questions or share any of my experiences of drinking or recovery then please tag me and I’m more than happy to share.
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon May 16, 2022 9:53 pm

Hi @Lea12, first of all I just want to say that I really appreciate you reaching out on here. It wasn't easy for me to ask for help in the beginning and it's really great to see how open you're being about it all.

3 days is amazing as well and I love hearing your determination, how are you travelling with it now?

I remember struggling to get any time up at all, even 24 hours felt like such a huge hurdle towards the end of my addiction. After attempting multiple detoxes and always picking up again the day I would come back home I realised I needed more than just to get the chemicals out of my system.

Like @PnorkelPW mentioned I had to realised that I couldn't do it alone and needed help from people who had been through similar things to me but had found a new way of life. It was 12 step meetings that really made the difference for me and helped me to actually stay stopped.

I'm wondering if you've ever tried any groups or other supports before and what's been helping you along the way this time?
    1 x

Return to “Alcohol”