Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Need to make that first step

The impact of ICE/Methamphetamine use can be significant and problematic. Join this forum to find support and conversations on changing ICE use and recovery.
    BreeAbez88

Need to make that first step

Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:08 am

I don't know where to start as I'm new to this... I don't know where else to turn to has my addition is getting bad and I don't want it to control me
    2 x
    teapot

Re: Need to make that first step

Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:01 am

Reaching out is a huge first step @BreeAbez88. Thanks for joining our community. I hope reading some of the other stories shared here helps you to figure out what you need to move forwards from here <3
    0 x
    Banksia12

Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:54 am

Hi @BreeAbez88 , welcome to the community :)
    You can turn to the forums, which are always here for you.
    What sorts of things have helped you so far, when it comes to feeling in control?
    0 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:00 am

Thanks@BreeAbez88 for sharing with us and welcome. I'm going to tag our Peer Workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW to see what tips and suggestions they might have about making that first step.
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:45 pm

Hi @BreeAbez88,

I just want to start by saying that it's incredibly courageous of you to jump on here and reach out for help, and by doing that you've actually already taken the first step.

It took me until I was completely backed into a corner by my addiction, where I felt like I had no other choice. It was a scary place to be but it made me desperate enough to reach out for help.

If you feel comfortable sharing a bit more about your situation and what substances you're struggling with then we can help point you in the right direction to seek help?

For me, the thing that helped me more than anything else was 12 step groups. There's a lot of different peer support groups in the community you can attend and get support from people who get it because they've been through similar stuff.

Hope you're ok and hope to hear more from you :)
    0 x
    Katiee

Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:24 pm

Congratulations on taking this brave first step!!!! For me I did Drug and Alcohol Counselling. In Australia we have free services available just try and google drug and alcohol support in your area. It depends on the individual to what support they need. You may want or need to go to a residential rehab, or maybe join an AA/NA or Smart Recovery meeting, or counselling is an option. Either way there is help out there available.
    This forum is fantastic for being able to ask questions and also seeing other people’s story’s of hope. Best of luck in your journey
    4 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Jul 06, 2021 9:30 pm

You're always so helpful, supportive and open on here @Katiee and your contributions to the community are incredibly valued :)

Just thought I'd touch base and see how you're travelling?
    2 x
    Katiee

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:36 pm

@ScorpionPW hey I’m doing really well. Just enrolled for a Diploma Of Counseling course today and feeling positive abo it the future. Hope you are well :)
    1 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:56 pm

@Katiee that's so exciting!!! Just from seeing your passion in the forums I know you will be incredible as a counsellor! When do you start study?
    0 x
    Katiee

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:00 pm

@Lhiver September I start :)
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:30 pm

That's so great to hear @Katiee! Well done and good luck, I think you'll be great in that space :)

I've been well, just in a bit of a vortex working from home through the lockdown. Hoping it ends soon and just staying connected as best I can.

Are you somewhere that's in lockdown at the moment?
    2 x
    Katiee

Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:00 pm

@ScorpionPW oh dear I hate working from home!!! I’m in Queensland I’m thankful we aren’t in lock down at the moment. Hope you hang in there
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Fri Jul 23, 2021 9:53 am

hey @Katiee I just thought you might like to check out this blog post from one of our counsellors about how she got into counselling! It's always interesting to see how diverse people's journey's are and to understand the different strengths and perspectives people bring to the field! Also it's always nice for people to know who they're working with :)
    0 x

Return to “Ice”