Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • What caused the relapse?

This is a space visited by peer workers who have a lived experience of addiction and recovery and is an opportunity to relate to and draw hope from those who have been through similar things as you.
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: What caused the relapse?

Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:46 pm

Hi @CourtNeyy and thanks for sharing what's on your mind

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=126 .................this is a post on here with a suggestion to watch a doco called Pleasure Unwoven. There are some breakdown clips on YouTube and if you search the net you might find a copy available.

I watched this when in rehab and it completely changed my outlook on myself and my addictions. I learnt that it wasn't about a lack of will power or want to change.............it explains the disease model of addiction and after I watched it I felt a sense of relief. I gained understanding and insight into the reason that once I start I couldn't stop. It had always baffled me as to why I couldn't do what other people did and just have a few drinks and go home. I finally started to accept that the only way I would ever control my drinking was by just not having the first one.

My life had been full of decisions to stop drinking up to that point but after a few weeks or months I'd always start again thinking that I'd "be able to control it this time." Every time I started again it got more out of control and before I knew the drink had total control of me. I started to attend AA meetings with a new understanding. AA helped me understand myself and realise that there are plenty of people out there like me.............other alcoholics. Once I understood what an alcoholic is and I met other people who had overcome it I was able to start working on the solutions.

if you have any more questions or would like to know any more about some of the things I've mentioned then please don't hesitate to tag me and I'm more than happy to share.
    0 x

Return to “Peers for Peers: A space for connecting to others and our peer workers”