Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Celebration.

This is a space visited by peer workers who have a lived experience of addiction and recovery and is an opportunity to relate to and draw hope from those who have been through similar things as you.
    WildeReformed

Celebration.

Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:25 pm

I didn't want to only use this space for difficult times, so for the sake of balance... I'd like to celebrate 183 days clean and sober.

I wanted to celebrate today but I've been in bed with food poisoning and trying to get through assignments... it might not be the celebration I'd hoped but a post will do.

Hopefully, it encourages someone else to stick with it. It can feel tough but the biggest takeaway I have is to really reflect on the underlying reasons for your use. It's what has kept me with it, one day at a time.
    4 x
    Peace Dove
    Community Builder

Re: Celebration.

Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:01 pm

Hey @WildeReformed,

Congratulations! That is such a wonderful milestone! Thank you for sharing it here, its very motivating for everyone to read. I'm going to tag @ScorpionPW, @PnorkelPW and @Lhiver in this forum celebration. :D :D :D

I'm sorry to hear you have food poisoning. Hope you have a speedy recovery and that all goes well with your assignments so you can celebrate soon. 8-)
    Keep us posted on how you're going. :)
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:44 pm

That's amazing @WildeReformed, congratulations!

Thanks for sharing your milestone with us and I think it's such a great point you made that this space is for sharing successes as well as struggles.

It's incredibly inspiring to see and I'm very greatful you're sharing your journey with us here :)
    3 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:50 pm

@WildeReformed I'm so sorry to hear about the food poisoning but a Massive Congratulations on the 183 days!!! That is truly fantastic!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Using this as a space to celebrate is a great idea, and as you said, hearing success stories will hopefully encourage others to stick with it!
    3 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:43 pm

@WildeReformed ...........Congratubloodylations!!!............This is amazing!!!

Celebrate away..........it's soooo important to acknowledge what you've done well

Thank you for sharing this here...........it's made me smile reading this and is a great message of hope for others out there

I hope your milestone made dealing with food poisoning a little easier

Out of interest............what were your celebration plans and what will you do?
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:43 pm

@WildeReformed ...........Congratubloodylations!!!............This is amazing!!!

Celebrate away..........it's soooo important to acknowledge what you've done well

Thank you for sharing this here...........it's made me smile reading this and is a great message of hope for others out there

I hope your milestone made dealing with food poisoning a little easier

Out of interest............what were your celebration plans and what will you do?
    1 x
    WildeReformed

Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:30 pm

Thank you @ScorpionPW @Lhiver @Peace Dove

@PnorkelPW Thank you :) I wanted to go and have a nice dinner somewhere and take a moment to feel a little fancy. I think we can let these moments pass us by and not treat them like the celebration they are... at least that is true for me. Dealing with the shame surrounding my addiction and not having any long-term friends around means that not very many people know about the challenges that I'm overcoming. I know it's one day at time but when I do reach 365 days I'd like to celebrate with some balloons and cake... a new beginning birthday of sorts :)
    3 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:54 pm

That's a great idea @WildeReformed, it is absolutely something that's important to celebrate!

My clean date birthday became much more significant for me than my belly button birthday in recovery. It's celebrating a new life, a new trajectory, a miracle at work and a mammoth achievement.

I hope you continue to share your milestones with us here :D
    2 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:50 pm

@wildereformed I used to get a medallion every month at an AA meeting I went to. I'd put it above my doorframe in my bedroom so every time I walked out there was a reminder of what I'd achieved and how far I'd come..........my daughter used to enjoy counting them with me too which added an extra element. When it got to 12 months I just couldn't believe it was possible.............but a day at a time I got there.

Like @ScorpionPW said about sober birthday being more important than belly button birthday.............I feel exactly the same. In AA when you have a birthday there's cake and singing and it's amazing to be a part of the fellowship. Last week was 6 years for me and it's only happened by taking it a day at a time.

You're doing such a great job...........keep it simple and keep taking it day by day...........before you know it you might just be celebrating that 1 year milestone with balloons and cake...........but remember...........a day at a time is how to get there...........you can do this
    4 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:51 pm

Beautifully said @PnorkelPW and congrats on your 6 years, that's amazing! :D
    2 x

Return to “Peers for Peers”