Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Activities to do instead of drinking or using

SoberMe2022

Re: Activities to do instead of drinking or using

Mon May 16, 2022 1:30 pm

Excellent ideas, thanks! Day 1 for me and I’ll definitely put a few ideas in place!
    2 x
    Firehorse

Mon May 16, 2022 4:23 pm

That is great you have found some tips to support you and keep reaching also :D
    0 x
    GretaGarbage99

Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:52 pm

I find any type of exercise is good. Usually it is the last thing i want to do when I am withdrawing because my energy levels are low. Even just a walk to start off with is better than laying in bed overwhelmed with cravings and anxiety.

During my last detox I started using the heated indoor swimming pool close to my home. When I am in the water I feel so good. Doing the first lap is hard but then i get into the zone and my mind becomes quiet and i just focus on the breathing.

I have days and weeks where I get into a rut and forget to swim. Writing this has just reminded me of the benefits so when i get through to day 3 of my detox i am going to drag my tired body to the pool.
    2 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:07 am

@GretaGarbage99 I'm glad to hear you were able to remind yourself of the benefits of swimming! Did you get out for a swim yesterday?
    0 x
    Judas

Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:13 pm

It's been great reading everyone's activities. I'm definitely going to have to try a couple of these myself! For me exercise (gym) and video games are the main two. Those are the activities which distract me the best and easiest. Some other options include:
    - Playing Pokemon GO (marrying both the exercise and video game component lol)
    - Meeting up with friends
    - Watching Stan, Disney or Netflix
    - Doing colouring in
    - Talking with friends via instant messenger or snapchat
    - Doing some cooking
    - Going shopping
    - Watching a movie
    - Eating an ice-cream
    0 x

Return to “Lived experience: A space to share your journey, advice, strategies and support”