Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Lhiver
    Community Builder

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:34 am

good morning and a very big welcome to our new members @Relentless love and @Mii84 ! I hope you're finding the forums useful and have already found some great advice! When you feel ready you can start your own thread and tell us a little about what bought you here! :D
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:50 am

Good morning all, festive season is here, are we ready?

Big welcome to the new members who joined us in the forums! @Harry1975, @Karly P
    In here, you don't need to worry about judgements, this is a welcoming and safe place for you to share your concerns relating to substances use. We will try our best to help you in this journey. Myself and @Lhiver are the facilitators here, and @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW are our peer workers here. So if you have any questions, feel free to @ any one of us in your post~
    0 x
    donnalee72

Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:20 pm

I hope I'm in the right section... I'm Donna & I'm here hoping to find some answers & people that have successfully managed to stay off gear...
    1 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:27 pm

hey @donnalee72,
    Welcome to the Forums. Well done on reaching out! Have you tried anything before? If so, what are they? If you want to talk to someone about this, you can call the National AOD number, 1800 250 015 to talk to a counsellor. Or you can use the 'Chat to a counsellor' function locating on the Counselling Online website homepage to chat to a counsellor online.
    I have also tagged our peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW. They might have some great suggestions about what you can try.
    Keep us posted!
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:14 pm

Hi @donnalee72 and welcome to the forums. I'm sure if you spend some time looking around the forums you'll find lots of answers, suggestions, similarities, and much more.

What are you looking for answers for? What questions do you have?

I'd be happy to share, support, answer, or help in whatever way I can and @ScorpionPW is here too. Just be sure to tag us in your post so we get a notification and can respond when we're next online.
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:18 pm

Hey @donnalee72,

Welcome to the forums and thanks for reaching out, it can be hard to take that first step.

I remember it took me a long time to admit that I needed help, then when I did need help it was longer still because I was afraid of reaching out.

One thing that really helped me more than anything was getting support from other people who had been through addiction and found a new way to live. For me, this was 12 step meetings, Narcotics Anonymous to be specific.

Something that can be really important as well is to touch base with your GP to talk about options for a safe detox and also AOD counselling to talk through some stuff and set some goals to work towards.

At the end of the day different things work for different people and everybodies recovery is as individual as their fingerprint. I'm wondering if you've ever tried to jump of the gear before? And if so, what's worked well and what hasn't?
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:41 am

good morning and welcome everyone, I wanted o introduce our new members @Remorseful74, @Sartz, @User 63858ec9b2419 to the forums! This is a place for you to find advice, support and connection! You can use the forums as a place to keep track of your journey, and read how others have manage theirs. If you have any questions you can use the @ symbol to tag myself or @Sunflowerseed :D
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:17 pm

Good afternoon everyone~ Hope your week is going well so far.

Welcome @UNOME, @roxy2022, @Acceptbegay for joining the forums with us. In here, you are free to share your substances-relating struggles, without worrying for judgement. This is the place for you to get the support you need and build connection with peers. If you have any questions, feel free to tag our peer workers @ScorpionPW and @PnorkelPW, or the facilitators myself or @Lhiver in your post. We are all here to help~
    0 x
    ringtail

Wed Nov 30, 2022 10:11 pm

hi all,

watched the SBS show and it made me cry. Not because it was so touching, which it was, but rather that you are there doing this heartening thing for humanity; that you set it up, that you're there, and that as a result we are so lucky to be able to come here. And not least of all that the program is accessible no matter how poor people are. thanks. I am very grateful and hope to make the most of this opportunity.
    5 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:38 pm

Welcome to the forums @ringtail...........and thanks for your feedback on the series. It was a privilege to be part of and I'll be forever grateful for the experience. There were so many people involved in the making of the show but it was the participants who put their stories out there for the world to see that deserve all the accolades. It was such a brave thing they did and took sooooo much courage.
    We need to keep spreading the word that addiction can effect people from all walks of life and it's an issue that needs more attention.

What brings you to the forums?
    1 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:44 pm

Welcome to the forums @Remorseful74 , @Sartz , @User 63858ec9b2419 @UNOME @roxy2022 , @Acceptbegay

What brings you here? What are you hoping to find?
    0 x
    ringtail

Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:00 pm

thanks @PnorkelPW

I am here because I wanted to try being around other people and getting some help while trying to leave behind drug addiction and its generation behaviours.

I was not sure where to start and ended up here when looking up things about the show, and was quite amazed to find this place. I've started looking at the different resources and the group meet ups.

and yes, I agree, the participants were just incredible, and so inspiring, I hope they are all doing very well.
    3 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:25 pm

It's nice to hear that the doco touched you @ringtail, it certainly was a privelege to be a part of it and I think of the participants from time to time.

It's great you've decided to reach out on here to realise that you're not alone. Building new connections in a recovery community was the most important part of my recovery journey. I'm wondering where things are at for you at the moment and if you're accessing any other support?
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:29 pm

Well there's some great info, stories, and much more here @ringtail

If I can help out in any way just let me know
    0 x
    Sheerlife

Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:30 pm

Hi My name is Sheerlife and i have recently joined this forum to join in Alcohol counselling session.. I would like to have a start and change my life as i am in deep distress with everything currently happening in my life.

I have lot of good stuff and hobbies that i am interested in including spending time with kids, but Alcohol has ruined my life so far and so i want to get my life back to see my kids grow as good citizens in their life.

Family separation is not helping me as i am completely isolated without any family or friends in Australia.

Need hope

Sheerlife
    1 x

Return to “Lived experience: A space to share your journey, advice, strategies and support”