Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:29 pm

Hi @Àmethyst..............CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I remember when I was in rehab I started associating alcohol with the skull and crossbones poison symbol. We were watching a video that mentioned alcohol is a poison and I just started associating it as such. Every time i thought of a drink or saw alcohol that skull and crossbones would be superimposed over it in my mind. It has poisoned me for long enough and I was determined not to let it poison me anymore...........and thankfully it still hasn't.

Can I ask what you're doing this time if it's not AA or rehab? What's been working for you to get you to the 18 day mark?
    1 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:18 pm

Hi @Àmethyst,

That is amazing, well done! It would be great to hear what's been working for you in this recovery and what has helped you along the way?

I remember when I first starting threading some days together, I too was in awe and disbelief that I was actually free from active addiction and was capable of not picking up a day at a time. When once, going 24 hours without something in my system seemed impossible.

I love to hear you set your intentions for the way you want to live your life. I really hope you continue to share your journey here with us on the forums :)
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Jan 14, 2023 10:38 am

Good morning and welcome! I hope you're all able to stay cool on this blistering day! (if you're in Vic at least!) I wanted to kick off by welcoming our newest members @Rd , @readyplayer1 and @Gaz01 This is a community space for people to share their journey's and find support, advice and connection. If you have any questions feel free to tag myself or at @Sunflowerseed! We also have our wonderful peer workers @PnorkelPW and @ScorpionPW !
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:59 am

good morning and welcome new member @gettingthere ! I hope in this community you find support and connection! This is a safe, judgement free zone. When you feel ready you can share a little about yourself, we're all here to support!
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:17 pm

Good afternoon everyone, how has your week been so far?
    Welcome @Nil for joining our community. This is the place for all of you to safely share your concerns and stories. We hope you will get the support you are looking for and able to connect with each other. Our two peer workers are here every week to support you as well, @PnorkelPW & @ScorpionPW. If you have any questions, just tag myself or @Lhiver. :)
    0 x
    PnorkelPW
    Peer Worker

Thu Jan 19, 2023 8:25 pm

Welcome to the forums @Nil, @gettingthere, @Rd, @readyplayer1, and @Gaz01............I hope you find some support and useful information.

If you have any questions about addiction or recovery or anything in between @ScorpionPW and I have had our own journeys from addiction to recovery and are here to share our experiences. We'll answer pretty much anything from our experiences so don't be afraid to ask.

Is there anything in particular that brings you here or that you're hoping to find?
    0 x
    Lhiver
    Community Builder

Sat Jan 21, 2023 10:34 am

good morning and welcome to our newest members @delemarie @zenadelphi @Chloe69 @skyechange @StivingForaBetterMe1966 @GypsyLee @lookingforhope @Berko and @lille

This is a community space for you to find support, connection and advice. When you feel ready you can introduce yourself in this thread here! IF you have any questions feel free to tag myself or @Sunflowerseed we also have our wonderful peerworkers @ScorpionPW and @PnorkelPW who are about for added insights and support!
    0 x
    lille

Sat Jan 21, 2023 11:58 am

Thanks @Lhiver , I'm so grateful I discovered this forum
    3 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:55 am

Good morning everyone, hope you are all enjoying your weekend.

Welcome @Missbliss for joining this community with us. You can safely share your concerns here and get the support you are looking for. All the members are here to support each other through this recovery journey. We also have two peer workers here to share a little of their experience with you, @PnorkelPW, @ScorpionPW. If you have any questions, just @ myself or tag @Lhiver. :)
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:49 am

Good morning everyone, how was your weekend? :)

Warm welcome to @TheBatman for joining this community with us. This is a safe space for you to share your story. There is no judgement here, everyone is here to get support and provide support to each other. Feel free to tag us in your post if you have any questions (myself or @Lhiver). Or you can @ our peer workers to chat to them or get they advice on how to proceed in the journey, @PnorkelPW & @ScorpionPW.
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:49 pm

Hey @lille,

It would be great to know what brings you to the forums if you're comfortable sharing with us.

Myself and @PnorkelPW are the peer workers on the forums here. All that means is that we are here to meet you where you're at and share our experience of a journey through addiction and recovery. We also both work in the sector so can provide any information that may be helpful for you along the way.

Hope you continue to reach out on here :)
    0 x
    lille

Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:06 pm

Thanks @ScorpionPW
    I was researching professional websites for mental health and addiction resources and stumbled on these forums by chance. As a clinician, I wanted to avoid seeking face-to-face support because I was worried about my registration. As these forums are anonymous and offer a safe environment, I found it a great way to get support. I do plan on connecting with a professional, but not until I'm a bit further along in my journey.

Is that what you were asking, or do you want more specific information? Like what the substances were etc?
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:00 pm

Good afternoon everyone~

I want to welcome @Rebecca75 and @Nooksi for joining the forum with us. You can safely share your concerns and story with us here. If you look around the forums, you will find some inspiring stories and some great support. Everyone is here to support each other through this recovery journey. If you have any questions or just want to chat to one of us, just @ myself, @Lhiver or our two lovely peer workers, @ScorpionPW & @PnorkelPW.
    0 x
    ScorpionPW
    Peer Worker

Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:11 pm

That's completely fair enough @lille being a clinician yourself. That's great that you just so happened to stumble upon the forums and that you feel safe here :D

There's also anonymous peer support groups face to face and online that could possibly give you a space to relate to people going through a similar journey to you and people who are further along that can help guide you in the early days.

There's not really any expectations either here, just whatever you're happy sharing. We're here to listen, relate and share our experiences. This is a mutual support space so it's helpful to all of us when you open up how you have been. So thanks for sharing and it would be grea to know how the day has been for you?
    0 x
    Sunflowerseed
    Community Builder

Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:28 pm

Good after all, how are we going so far this week?
    @Alycat, welcome for joining this community. These forums are a anonymous and judgement-free space for you to share your concerns. When you are ready, you aer welcome to share a little of your story, just remember to keep it anonymous~ If you want to get some support from others such as our two peer workers, @PnorkelPW & @ScorpionPW, just @ them in your post. If you have any questions, you can tag myself or @Lhiver as well.
    Looking forward to hearing from you. :)
    0 x

Return to “Lived experience: A space to share your journey, advice, strategies and support”