Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Please note: Your post will need to be approved by a team member, between 9am-9pm ADST. Your post will not appear straight away.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    sydghost

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:38 pm

Hi, I'm SydGhost, 39 year old male Meth and Chemsex addict. Glad i stumbled on this site as i'm looking for support.
    I've only ever smoked Meth a few times while engaging in wild sexual activities. It's all i think about now and it's consuming me.
    I am not sure what to do to stop thinking about and avoid touching it. I am worried i will engage again soon in Chemsex which will make it even harder to stop...The temptation is so strong now and growing...
    Any help appreciated please! cheers
    Last edited by sydghost on Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    0 x
    Calvino01

Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:28 pm

Hi @sydghost
    Welcome to the forums! Good on you for reaching out today.
    I'm Calvino one of the facilitators here.
    What you're experiencing isn't unheard of. Many people struggle with this and I understand it can feel quite difficult to give it up.
    This is a supportive and anonymous platform for people to share their experiences with others who have issues with substances.

Have you ever received support for this before? Have you been in contact with other organisations for assistance?
    0 x
    sydghost

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:17 pm

Hi @Calvino01
    Thanks for your message. Yes it's been very hard in particular because i don't have anyone to talk with about it, that's why i've come here. No i haven't reached out to other organisations or received counselling. Just looked at online resources.

I am constantly moving between both wanting and not wanting to give it up although i know what the rational decision is...It's been very difficult.
    1 x
    Calvino01

Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:52 pm

Yes it always seems like a back and forth battle for many people between wanting to stop and not wanting to stop. That can be one of the most difficult things to get past at the beginning. What matters now is that you are contemplating to stop. Weight up your pros and cons, make a list do a little more thinking about these.
    We have a 24/7 drug counselling helpline available on 1800 888 236 or you can even chat with a counsellor through webchat. Theres always a counsellor available to talk to.
    0 x
    August041

Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:39 pm

Hi. My newly acquired hobby is my planted fish aquarium. My previous hobby was alcohol. I am 234 days sober and sometimes feel alone in my sobriety. I have wonderful support and love around me, don’t get me wrong, but I don’t think they know what I am going through.
    Volunteering inspires me. It’s a selfless act which can make such a huge difference to our world and it’s inhabitants.
    1 x
    Bamboo [facilitator]
    Community Manager

Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:31 am

Hi @August041 welcome to the forum, thanks for sharing with us :)

What a fantastic achievement going 234 days sober, congratulations!!

I'm wondering if you'd be willing to share how you got through those first few weeks?

Sobriety can definitely feel lonely at times, it's great you've joined our community for that connection and support. Great to hear you've also got wonderful people around you.

Your new hobby sounds interesting, how many fish do you have in your aquarium?

Volunteering and giving back to the community is a beautiful thing.
    1 x

Return to “Change Makers”