Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • Sober Tribe

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Dragonfly24

Sober Tribe

Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:45 pm

Hello everyone,
    I’m new here! I recently read a book called “The Unexpected Joy of Being Sober” and in her recovery she talks about the importance of having a “Sober Tribe” and I feel like this is the safe community I need ♥️
    I’m 24 and I think I’m addicted to alcohol. I’m not addicted in the typical way of getting up and needing a drink every single day. But I am addicted in the way that if I have one drink...it is never just one drink. I simply can’t moderate. When I’m out, I focus on how much everyone is drinking, when I finish my drink the only thing I can think about is getting the next one. I drink because I want to have fun...but I never have fun when I drink.
    I don’t like the person I am when I drink and I hate the person I am the next day. But then I have a few days off and the weekend comes along and then I think “oh well one drink won’t hurt”. Cycle repeats.
    Anyway, thank you for listening. Please share your stories, it makes me feel less alone. ♥️
    0 x
    Cat7

Re: Sober Tribe

Mon Mar 09, 2020 4:58 pm

Hey @Dragonfly24 and welcome to the forum.

I think your right, the community on here is like one big sober tribe and your now a part of it. I hope others will share more good resources they have found useful, just saw @Midge0z mention a book that sounded quite interesting here.

Thanks for sharing and look forward to hearing more from you!
    0 x
    Sessy

Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Hi @Dragonfly24 ,
    I have exactly the same issue and it’s affecting my relationship with my partner and now even his family. Yesterday I got so caught up in a drinking session that I failed to show up for our engagement celebration dinner with his family. I feel so incredibly bad today and guilty for letting everyone down. Once I start I just can’t stop. I think I have to quit drinking all together before I ruin my life and lose the people I love.
    2 x
    Dragonfly24

Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:22 pm

@Sessy we could be the same person! I have not had a drink now for 10 days. I feel like zero drinks is the only way I can go, because as soon as I have one - my brain always tells me to get another regardless of the situation. It’s okay not to be able to moderate, alcohol is super addictive- that’s what I’ve quickly learnt. I wish you all the best with your journey x
    1 x
    Mrobinson88

Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:42 am

Hi sober tribe,
    Fairly new to the forum and posting. So many emotions that go along with drinking alcohol. Priorities 're arranged sabotaging ones self with anti social behaviours.
    1 x
    camembert
    Community Builder

Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:25 pm

Hey @Mrobinson88 , @Sessy & @Dragonfly24
    I love the idea of a sober tribe!
    I'd love to hear how your journeys are going?
    What kind of things have you found helpful?
    Have you read any other good books about sobriety?
    :)
    0 x
    Rose_squrtz
    Community Builder

Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:34 am

Hi @Dragonfly24 It's always good to know we are not alone in the situation and talk with people who have the same goal! I can feel your positivity just through your post :)
    How are you going so far ? would love to hear more of your journey!
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”