Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. Join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Anonymous. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Join us Mondays at 8pm - 10pm AEST for Monday Meetup.

Your posts will automatically appear live on the forum.
  • environmental impact on addiction outcomes

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    doinit4ourkidz

environmental impact on addiction outcomes

Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:16 am

I am trying to look into the impact of living in the lower social economical areas, the disadvantage suffered by families stuck in generational unemployment and active addiction.
    My husband was labeled an habitual crim and had little to no hope of changing that whilst doing his best to survive being yet another statistic of Mt Druitt. Yet when he was taken out of that environment he has no further criminal charges for going on 20yrs,managed full time employment, got his car and mr truck licenses and for the most part been a reliable family man working to break his families cycle of unemployment and addiction.
    The lose of an elder sister has now seen his youngest sister fall apart and it was the start to hubby relapsing. He feels guilty we have comparatively good lives and our children access to what's truly needed to succeed in life. He struggles so much to be the man he knows his family needs and deserves but the weight of his past that's still his families daily reality catches up with him to often of late.
    We as a nation need to do better.
    1 x
    tacocat
    Community Builder

Re: environmental impact on addiction outcomes

Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:09 pm

That's an interesting topic @doinit4ourkidz

Labels are hard to shake, and living, or rather being forced to live in an environment that is unhealthy, will only breed unhealthy behaviour; It's quite cyclic.
    We have had some discussions on the forums about how social factors influence change in addictive behaviours. It sounds like you're a big believer in how crucial social factors are on the subject of substance misuse. I would have to agree with you on that one. It's hard to ignore the prevalence of drug use in certain areas/suburbs/public housing, etc..
    Hopefully I haven't rambled too far away from your topic...
    1 x
    doinit4ourkidz

Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:13 am

tacocat wrote:
    Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:09 pm
    That's an interesting topic @doinit4ourkidz

Labels are hard to shake, and living, or rather being forced to live in an environment that is unhealthy, will only breed unhealthy behaviour; It's quite cyclic.
    We have had some discussions on the forums about how social factors influence change in addictive behaviours. It sounds like you're a big believer in how crucial social factors are on the subject of substance misuse. I would have to agree with you on that one. It's hard to ignore the prevalence of drug use in certain areas/suburbs/public housing, etc..
    Hopefully I haven't rambled too far away from your topic...
    Not at all it's a topic of interest for me and something I would like to see some improvement within in my lifetime.
    Feeling a sense of belonging and that those around us truly want us to be apart of their lives is also a huge impact on the way an addict will cope in long-term recovery. Unfortunately for those being brought up in low income housing commission pockets the want for positive role models is a huge problem too. They are searching for acceptance from Peers and older role models and they end up finding just that but within the drug circle. Their brains are too immature to truly understand the long-term impacts nor that having a weekend on E or I may be the beginning to living a life of shear hell. Many are existing in homes that are full of mold, bugs, mice, rats and unsanitary bathroom and kitchens. Kitchens that hold empty fridge and cupboards and bathrooms you can barely access that may not have seen bleach etc for years at a time. Bedrooms with bare and often broken beds no covers just a dirty old blanket and smelly pillow.
    Someone please tell me how anyone can expect anything positive to grow within that environment. Add to that the police verses us mentality often not at all helped by the way many sensitive situations are mishandled by police and government officials etc.
    Something has to be completely changed if we ever expect to see the generational cycle of poverty violence addiction jail and general antisocial behavior to improve at all.
    2 x
    Koala_85

Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:05 pm

Hi everyone welcome to tonight's Monday Meetup, our casual weekly catch up :) We will be live until 10pm AEST.

Checking in with you to see how you went over the weekend?

What are some tips or tricks you have for staying sober? Do you have much planned for the week?

Tonight I thought we could focus on the concept of healthy ways to decrease stress.. what are some healthy distractions you might have which help reduce stress? for i.e, exercise, meditation, yoga, reading etc.
    0 x

Return to “Change Makers”