Welcome to our online peer support community. Connect with others making change in their alcohol and other drug use. To post or reply, join our online community today.
  • Connect, be inspired, motivate others. Share your experience & strategies.
  • Safe. Confidential. Professionally moderated. Free of judgement.

Please note the forums are moderated between 9am and 9pm AEST. Your posts will not appear straight away.
  • Introduce yourself here - lived experience

For people making and maintaining change in their alcohol and other drug use. Connect here to share your story and gain motivation today.
    Hercules

Re: Introduce yourself here - lived experience

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:27 am

Hello chrissyj,

Hercules here, one of the Counselling Online forum moderators. Welcome to the forum, and thank-you for posting. I look forward to reading more about yourself and your experiences, and I'm very hopeful that our contributors can help shed light on approaches they have uses to cut down or stop drinking.

Cheers,

Hercules
    2 x
    Elpida

Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:31 am

Hi All,
    I have joined this site as I would like to stop using marijuana. I have used it full time for about 3 years. I smoke every night once ive finishded my jobs and i rely on it to help me sleep. I started using it 3 years ago after going through a really bad time in my life and it helped me forget and get through each day. I want to stop, i waste so much money buying it and i constantly ball on the few friends i have because id rather stay home smoke. I don't feel comfortable speaking to someone in person as i am ashamed of doing it and not being strong enough to quit. I am only 28 years old going through a rough break up which my use of marijuana was one cause. I need to start thinking about my future and I Know i definitely do not want marijuana being apart of it

Sorry for the long post and look forward to seeing how this will all go :)
    3 x
    Vik

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:06 am

Welcome to the forums @Elpida and nothing to be sorry for! Thank you for sharing some of your story, well done on taking steps toward stopping your marijuana use.
    I'm really sorry to hear about your breakup, definitely a tough thing to go through.

There are many that would agree that it can be scary getting past the first step of talking to someone about stopping your use, but getting past that first barrier can be a really amazing thing.
    Perhaps there are others here who can help motivate and give you strength in this, through sharing their experience.

In the mean time keep checking in, looking forward to hearing how things are going for you!

Vik
    2 x
    A voice

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:09 pm

Hi all
    This is not comfortable for me but here I go stepping outside comfort. I am scared of quitting alcohol because of the emotion and anxiety it might uncover.
    My hobby - I love to sing but haven’t in ages .... except in the car
    My biggest influence is my children
    Phew did it!
    2 x
    Vik

Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:18 am

Hi @A voice, welcome to the forums and thank you for your post.

Well done on stepping out of your comfort zone! Making change can definitely be a scary thing, the more support you can have at this time the better. Children are a really great motivation :)

It might be helpful to think of the positive impacts stopping drinking would have?
    0 x
    Trying so hard

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:38 am

Hi I'm new here
    I'm 36 ,addicted to meth
    I just wanted to let a few thoughts out

Everybody has things they don't like about themselves , including me.
    We all think things like
    "Wish I was skinnier "
    "I hate how short I am"
    "I suck at that,wish I was better"

Personally I'd like a set of better legs and I suck at folding washing and playing poker.
    I wish I'd made better choices sometimes and I don't like that I'm almost 40 now and still have nothing like a grown up should. A house with nice things, ring on my finger by a man who loves me, 2.5 kids and 10 sausage dogs. The perfect family dream lol.

I'm so sad because I know I almost had it all and what I did have was a dream to me. I was genuinely happy and secure there for a bit and life was good.
    I'm devastated that it was taken from me , I was heartbroken ,completely lost and everything changed in a instant.
    Life then became too hard to deal with in my head and I can admit it . I thought "screw this!!" And I broke down.
    I broke down big time.
    And I started using .

I'm so angry because i let myself fall , let my failures and fears become my demons and follow a path which led me to bad situations and I let myself become that word we all shudder when we hear...... An addict.
    I hate that word so much.
    So disappointed that I let a stupid substance (whatever it was at the time) become my warm blanket to hide in rather than take life on like a proper person.
    I'm so sorry to the ones I let down, gave up on or blocked out. i just didn't want to hear anything anymore and knew I couldn't handle the reality of what I'd lost or had to do.
    So I didn't listen.
    I just blocked it out in anyway that I could to make it silent.

I turned into someone I didn't like for a while and even tho I'm much better and so proud of where I am at this point I think I'm still waiting for the real me to reappear one day.

Ive accepted that addiction changes you, people are stupid if they don't realise that.Its a disease and its forever and its the biggest battle that no-one can understand unless they live it and to those who judge me or anyone else about something they know nothing about I say...
    "You people will never have a happiness like I will when I finally can say I'm all better now and Ive won my war.
    Wont it will suck to be you that day? lol . "

I've also met some amazing people and their stories give me the belief it can be beaten but also the understanding of just how much can be lost or destroyed.
    It really is a war and not everyone makes it.
    But please keep fighting everyone.
    Don't ever give up.
    I can't give up, it's just not who I am.
    I'm fighting day by day.
    But I still give in to it and I don't know how I can make my brain see.... this stuff is evil.

Someone asked me " are you happy within yourself?"

Deep down at the core of me with all the bullshit gone.
    Ive thought about it and my answer is
    yes I really am.
    I'm always give it a go and try my best which is all I can do.
    I move through life always with the faith in power of good.
    I stuff up but I actually learn and always strive for better.
    I'm caring and love to help others just for the sake of it.
    I give when I can and always appreciate the importance of every thing can help whether big or small.
    All in all
    I really do like being me
    I'm awesome the way that I am and that's that
    although I'd be more awesome with a caramel frappe and a ferrari....just saying lol.
    Hang in there everyone , we are doing alright
    Happy Monday xx
    5 x
    Vik

Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:31 am

Welcome @Trying so hard and thank you for your heart-felt post.

You're absolutely right in that all you can do is keep trying and do your best. And coming here shows your determination to keep trying toward to "win your war" as you say. :D :D
    It sounds like you've had a lot of things go on, and have gone through a lot of change over the years! You seem to have a fantastic attitude around encouraging others and self-love!

I think it's great that you said you're doing much better. What's changed to make you feel that way and what helped you change?
    Is there something in particular which motivates you?

Looking forward to hearing more about you and your journey!

PS I'd love a caramel frappe too pls!
    0 x
    Marjac

Tue Mar 12, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi, my name is Jen. I enjoy reading, quilting, being creative . I sell my soft toys and baby quilts at local markets. I have been struggling with not letting alcohol dictate how I feel about myself. Drinking gives me confidence, a feeling of being able to do anything I set my mind to, but the real affects are tiredness, weight gain and ‘lost time’ where I could be doing the things I love. I keep telling myself to be who I say I want to be, but self sabotage with alcohol. I feel I’m on a slow moving merry go round that won’t stop to let me off! Hopefully I can get some inspiration to stop the merry go round myself!
    2 x
    Courtz_30

Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:51 pm

Hi my name is Courtney and I have been using ICE to cover my feelings full time for 2 years and on and off for 4 years total.
    I am currently in detox and just wondering how I will keep clean on the outside with out going to rehab. Don't get me wrong I have certain supports in place eg, drug counsellor and a withdrawal nurse and parents support. But how do you stop the urges and cravings on the outside is what i'm wanting to know. I need to stay clean this time as I have a young son which I want back into my care.
    Any encouraging advice is welcome thank you.
    2 x
    Melody12

Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Hi and welcome @Marjac ,

Thank you for sharing your story in the forum. I look forward to following your journey and its great to read you are creative, in particular quilting which is a dying art.

Hoping our members are able to provide you with some inspirational tips.

Cheers Melody12
    2 x
    Melody12

Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi @Courtz_30 ,

Thank you and welcome to the forum. Asking for encouragement to overcome urges and cravings is a really positive step and ideal for this forum. I look forward to reading what has worked for some of our members.

Cheers,
    Melody12
    1 x
    Marjac

Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:32 pm

Thanks Melody 😉
    2 x
    Rumer

Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:51 pm

[
    Hi all my name is rumer andhave struggled with addiction most of my adult life. I am 2 weeks clean from methadone and just feel tired like I'm walking through mud. I love gardenind, reading and music. It's good to be here.
    0 x
    BigOrangeBear

Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Hi @Rumer , and welcome to the forum.

It is great that you reached out for some support in the forum and congratulations on the 2 weeks clean.

I look forward to reading more about your recovery journey and those great hobbies in the future.

All the best,
    BigOrangeBear (One of the Moderators)
    1 x
    Ling07

Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:59 am

Hi. I’m Ling07. For the past few years I have been drinking way too much in the evenings. I want to stop completely for the sake of my health and my family. I’ve been reading the posts and am struck by all the similar stories. I work full time and enjoy reading and 4WD with my husband. Just need to beat this sucker and live my best life. Thanks for having me and good luck to everyone. Be kind to yourselves :P
    2 x

Return to “Lived experience”